Tuesday, April 23, 2013

April 2013 Makeup Purchases + Reviews: Stila, L'Oreal, Rimmel, and Buxom

 
Hi guys- today I've made another random makeup post in lieu of my recently scraggly nails. Random makeup post #2 is a detailed review of all of the beauty products that I've bought this month, and I hope you find it helpful!
 
Over the past few months I've been getting more into lipstick, and can't seem to walk into Sephora without treating myself to one or two. This month I decided to give Buxom's new Full-Bodied lipstick and Stila's new Color Balm lipstick a go: 
 
 
Buxom Full-Bodied Lipstick
Shade: Hooligan
$21 at Sephora


(Doesn't it feel so luxurious when your lipstick's brand name is engraved into the product?!)
 

 
Aaand here's what it looks like on my lips (no lipliner). Keep in mind that my lips are naturally freakishly red, but since the formulation is quite opaque, the natural pigmentation of the lips doesn't make much of a difference.
 
My thoughts:
 
I bought this because I thought the mauve-y berry color of Hooligan would compliment my prom dress nicely (whoo seniors 2K13!), but I think I'll wear this on many more occasions. The color is very sophisticated and grown-up without looking dated, and the formulation is very hydrating. As far as staying power is concerned, I only wore this for two hours today before putting on my Stila lipstick, so I'm not sure how long wearing this truly is. By the end of the two hours, though, it had faded a bit but not too badly. You would definitely need to re-apply this after a meal.   
 

 
Stila Color Balm Lipstick
Shade: Isla
$22 at Sephora
  

My thoughts:
 
This lipstick is another great pick if you're looking for color + hydration. The color definitely looks more salmon-y swatched, but on the lips it's actually more of a light peachy pink, which I think would look great on just about anyone. The staying power of this is similar to the Buxom lipstick, which makes sense because they feel very similar on the lips (Isla feels slightly more moisturizing, though).

 

L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions
Shade: Black
Price: $9.95 (with my Kroger card it was around $7.75)
 


 
My thoughts:
 
Typically, I'm not that picky about my mascara- as long as it isn't waterproof and doesn't dry out quickly, I'll probably use it. That said, I was in the market for a new tube and picked this one up on a whim because the packaging was cool and I liked the look of the brush. As far as the actual product goes, the formula of this mascara is quite wet, which I tend to prefer for my lashes. Unfortunately, the wetness of the mascara did make my lashes clump, so I had to separate them with a lash groomer which ended up making the application process lengthier than usual. On a positive note, I did really like the brush- it's nothing fancy, just your typical rubber wand with lots of little bristles, but they really did seem to grab each lash and pull them upwards for a lovely lengthened look.
 
 
Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Kajal 
Shade: Purple
Price: Around $4, depending on your drugstore   

 
My thoughts:
 
I had heard a lot of great things about these new Rimmel eyeliners, and was quite excited when I saw that the line included a vibrant purple (purples suit my hazel eyes nicely). Anyway, for the reasonable price of $4, I gave Scandaleyes a shot and ended up being mildly satisfied but definitely not blown away. The texture of the pencil is smooth, but kind of waxy in comparison to glide-on pencils like the Urban Decay 24/7s and the new NYX ones. This waxiness made application trickier because waxy textures tend to yield patchier color payoff, which meant that I ended up having to go over my lashline a couple times to smooth out any gaps. However, if you can overlook the slightly inconvenient application, the purple color ends up looking nice and vibrant, and won't budge all day.
 
In a nutshell, I don't really get the hype around these pencils- the one I bought is fine, but there are plenty of better drugstore liners.
 
and lastly...
 
Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder
Price: $4.99
Shade: 011 Creamy Natural
 
 
My thoughts:
 
This is another Rimmel product that I'd heard a lot of great things about, and since I've recently been sick of using loose powder, I decided to pick it up at Walgreens. The shade I bought was the palest they had in stock, but on the Rimmel website it looks like they have even paler ones with pinkier undertones (which would probably be a better match for me, but these are fairly sheer so I doubt it matters much).  Like I said, this powder won't give you much additional coverage, but it does an excellent job of mattifying without appearing cakey, and the texture is smooth and finely milled. So far, my only gripe about this product is the packaging: in one word, flimsy. The plastic lid doesn't screw on very well, so I'm afraid to throw this in my handbag. 
 
Well, that's it for my April 2013 makeup purchases! I hope you've found this helpful, and I'll be back next week with a nail related post! 



No comments:

Post a Comment